Friday, February 12, 2010

Freedom Writers

1. Why do you think Mrs. Martin and Mr. Pierce chose this film for this class? I think Mr. Martin and Mrs. Martin chose this film for this class because this film is about students that had a rough life growing up. In the movie "Freedom Writers" some of the students were getting beat by their parents or getting raped by their parents or their family members. This film is about students going to school and writing down in a journal about what happened in their life's and what challenges they had to face. When the students handed them into the teacher, Nobody else read it, The only person who was reading the journals was their teacher in the film. Their are a lot of kids in high school that gets raped and beat by family members and they don't talk about it. This film shows how teachers can help out and try to make the kids save from those mean families.



2. Did watching this film change the way you think about high school or teachers or education?Explain. I think it had changed the way I think about high school, teachers, and education. High school is a place where you can feel safe in, or any school in that matter. If your home isn't save and you don't feel comfortable in your own home you should talk to somebody like a teacher at school and they will help you. No child should feel unsafe in their own home. Education is the most important thing a child should have because they need an education to become what they want to be when they are grown up.



3. Was any part of the movie confusing? If so, what question(s) about the movie would you like answered? This movie wasn't confusing for me only because the film "Freedom Writers" is easy to understand if you know somebody that has been in trouble or in a unsafe place. I had a friend back when I was 5 and she used to get raped and beat by her father. She told me not to tell anybody. I had to tell somebody. I told my dad and he at the time was friends with my friend's father so my dad talked to him about it and my friend's father lied about the whole thing. But I know my friend wouldn't say that she was raped and beat if she really didn't. She wasn't like that. When I watched the movie "Freedom Writers" I was thinking to myself "wow, why couldn't my friend do this when she was younger and or told somebody like a teacher".



4. At what point did the students start learning from their teacher? What changed? It was at the middle of the movie. At the beginning, The students always had somebody in their life but the people always got up and left them. Their teacher was always their. The students didn't realize this until the teacher started to catch their attention and gain their trust.



5. Does seeing this film make you feel any differently about your own opportunities in high school or this class. I don't honestly think I feel any differently about my own opportunities in high school. Like I said in question number 3, I watched the film and thought about my friend and what she went through as a child.



6. Is Freedom Writers a good movie? What did (or didn't) you like about it? I liked it. The film was inspiring and I wish their was a class where students can write what happened to them in the past (good or bad) and just wrote what was on their minds. I bet if their was a class like that at Stamford, A lot of kids would be in it.

1 comment:

  1. Nicole,

    This OLC credit that we are doing is a class like that. I want you to try writing a minimum of two posts a week for me.

    You can write about anything you want or I can suggest some topics for you.

    ReplyDelete